Wednesday 4 September 2013

Tom Woolley Illustration - Makers' Fair September Festival Special - Q & A





















Tell us about the work you do and the types of materials you use. 
I'm a digital illustrator who works in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I enjoy creating vibrant and colourful prints filled with characters. I always begin with a pencil sketch to work out the composition and then use computer software and a graphics tablet to add colour and depth to my work whilst retaining a hand drawn style.

Where do you produce your work? Does your working environment form part of the inspiration for your art? 
I work mainly on my computer at home in a little room filled with postcards and pictures of other people's work. I carry a sketchbook with me everywhere and enjoy getting out in the Yorkshire wilds to clear my head and think of new ideas.

Is your art your main job? How did you get started?
Yes, I'm an illustrator and web designer for Curve Agency in Leeds and produce illustrations and animations for numerous clients and agencies. Drawing is something I've always done and I'm lucky I get to do something I love in my day job.

What work will you be exhibiting at the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special?
New limited edition giclee prints and cards of illustrated maps, children's art and vibrant landscapes filled with colourful characters.

Do you work in any other mediums besides the work you will be exhibiting at the Makers’ Fair Special?
I do a lot of sketching and the odd bit of painting and ink work.

Where else can we see and buy your work?
I try to keep my website updated with all my latest work (www.tomwoolley.com) and I sell limited edition prints in the my online shop tomwoolley.bigcartel.com

Tell us about your most exciting or memorable commission?
The feeling of being awarded a new commission is very exciting. I'm working on some animated films, comics and interactive web stuff at the moment which is a lot of fun and I've just completed the illustrations for an iPad story book app – really excited to see that when it's released.

What was it about the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special that made you want to apply to exhibit?
I enjoy visiting the Festival every year and exhibited some illustraton as part of the Arts Trail in 2011. It was great to meet so many other artists and see people's reaction to my work and fancied having another go.

Have you participated or visited the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special before?
Please see above.

What is unique about it and how does it differ from other events?
Saltaire is lovely!

Could you leave us with one more interesting fact about yourself or your work?
I spent two years in Moscow competing in the underground Russian wrestling league. They called me 'The Red Lobster'.

Tom Woolley will be exhibiting at the Makers' Fair Festival Special

No comments:

Post a Comment