Friday 6 September 2013

Inky Linky - Makers' Fair September Special - Q & A





















Tell us about the work you do and the types of materials you use.
I'm a jeweller and printmaker. My jewellery is mostly silver and copper, with some brass elements. I enjoy using various techniques to make pattern, texture & colour, including etching, engraving and patination. My printmaking also influences the jewellery and vice-versa. In both disciplines I'm inspired by the English landscape and the patterns of fields, houses and boundaries with a bit of flora and fauna thrown in along the way!


Where do you produce your work? Does your working environment form part of the inspiration for your art?
I work from home, in a workroom which started out as the spare room but has gradually been taken over by tools and machinery. It's a converted garage and looks out onto my lovely leafy garden so I'm very lucky, but I would say my inspiration comes mainly from the larger landscapes of North Yorkshire which are right on my doorstep. I'm also influenced by objects around me – 1950s textiles and ceramics which I collect in a very minor way, as well as lots of reproductions and books of work by British printmakers such as Ben Nicolson, Samuel Palmer and Robert Taverner.

Is your art your main job? How did you get started?
I'm a bit of a Jill of all trades - I'm also a Mum, trained in garden design and do a bit of English teaching too, but most of my time is spent creating things. I started with jewellery evening classes nearly 20 years ago, then developed an interest in printmaking. I've been mostly self-taught with some short courses and workshops and help and advice from a very good printmaker friend. When my youngest started school a couple of years ago I decided to develop more of a serious business and have received a lot of support from other makers at fairs and online.

What work will you be exhibiting at the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special?
Jewellery and prints, along with a new range of metal pictures using jewellery materials and techniques.

Do you work in any other mediums besides the work you will be exhibiting at the Makers’ Fair Special?
I love drawing with biro, pen & ink and sticks!

Where else can we see and buy your work?
I have work in The Cooper Gallery in Barnsley, Itch Gallery in Rutland, and participate in various shop and gallery pop-ups, including The Stalls in Leeds and Harlow Carr in Harrogate. I also have a website www.inkylinky.co.uk but as my work is quite varied and a lot are one-offs, it's quite difficult to keep up to date.

Tell us about your most exciting or memorable commission?
I was recently asked to make a pair of Sterling wedding rings, one of which was etched with a landscape scene. It was at the same time a huge honour and a massive responsibility but it was so rewarding to have done it.

What was it about the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special that made you want to apply to exhibit?
Saltaire is such a fabulous place filled with a sense of the history of working people. The Fair attracts people who are really interested in unusual handmade work – you only have to look at the clothes, jewellery and accessories of the visitors to see that! I often end up asking people where they bought their handbag/skirt/earrings. Other makers are so friendly too. The only problem is keeping hold of my profits and not spending it all on the gorgeous things for sale.

Could you leave us with one more interesting fact about yourself or your work?
My second cousin was once given a fridge by Donald Pleasence. I've led quite a sheltered life.

Inkylinky are exhibiting at Makers' Fair Festival Special



No comments:

Post a Comment