Friday 6 September 2013

Emma Wells Glass - Makers' Fair Festival Special Q & A



Tell us about the work you do and the types of materials you use.
I work with glass; surface decorating and printing with various materials then kiln-firing. I am currently very much inspired by the Victorian period and have developed techniques that leave the glass with an aged, almost dusty appearance, as if the pieces are treasures found in an old attic or bottom drawer.

Where do you produce your work? Does your working environment form
part of the inspiration for your art?
This year I am very mobile (see last question) working in a variety of strange and wonderful places. I don’t really draw inspiration for my work from my immediate surroundings but I do find that it makes the difference between being productive or not.

Is your art your main job? How did you get started?
Yes and it has been for around 18 years. I really started when I was a child but, the glass began when I set up my first craft gallery.

What work will you be exhibiting at the Saltaire Festival Makers’
Fair Special?
A range of surface decorated and kiln-fired jewellery, bowls, panels and re-styled vintage objects.

Do you work in any other mediums besides the work you will be
exhibiting at the Makers’ Fair Special?
I am trying to diversify but, where is the time?!!!!

Where else can we see and buy your work?
On my website www.emmawellsglass.co.uk plus a number of select galleries and shows around the UK including the Great Northern Contemporary.

Tell us about your most exciting or memorable commission?
To make a body of work for the major retailer Anthropologie for both their UK and US stores.

What was it about the Saltaire Festival Makers’ Fair Special that
made you want to apply to exhibit?
Having taken part in the spring Arts Trail event I was keen to return. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the festival and the quirkiness of the town, together with showing my work to a most appreciative audience!

Have you participated or visited the Saltaire Festival Makers’
Fair Special before?
Not the Festival event.

Could you leave us with one more interesting fact about yourself
or your work?
This year my husband, Adam Harvey (ceramicist), who is also exhibiting, and I decided to step out from our usual life set-up and spend the year travelling the UK, making and selling our work on the road. it has been fantastic so far!

Emma Well Glass will be exhibiting as part of the Makers' Fair Festival Special

No comments:

Post a Comment